Friday, May 6, 2011

May 5th


Today I experienced another exciting milestone on my vegan journey: an unplanned vegan lunch at a restaurant. Dom and I were out running errands all morning and before we knew it, it was past lunch and we were starving! Normally we would just pop in to the closest restaurant and grab something – anything – on the menu. But without a lot of veggie restaurant options, vegan menu options and no planning, we were tasked with finding a place to grab a vegan bite. Dom remembered seeing a sign advertising a vegetarian lunch on one of the buildings we had passed so we headed in that direction and we came across the cutest little tea shop in the Market, called The Tea Party. They serve tea and desserts and sell cute little teapots but most importantly, they offer vegetarian and vegan lunches! I ordered the chickpea curry served on basmati rice and Dom had the tomato soup with a grilled cheese (not vegan, but vegetarian!). I’ve found in the last couple months since experimenting with vegan foods that I constantly find myself drawn to curries as a comfort food. The kick of spice just really warms everything up and with chickpeas – really, is there a more delicious legume? The food was so yummy, the prices were so reasonable and the place was so cute that we will definitely be going back, especially when we’re out and get hungry again! I’m glad that we found it.

Here's their website: http://www.theteapartycafe.com/


Tonight for dinner we celebrated the beginning of barbeque season by – what else? – having a barbeque! The season for barbequing weather is so short here that we must make use of the nice weather when it presents itself. I already love veggies on the grill: zucchini, tomato, onion, asparagus…anything really. So finding vegetables for the meal wasn’t the hard part. The hardest part was choosing between buying veggie dogs and veggie burgers at the grocery store! I finally decided on the veggie dog because – can you believe it – I’ve never had one before? So we grilled those up with some olive oil-coated asparagus and corn and added some home-made French fries and we celebrated a vegan start to barbeque season. We added some yummy condiments and I even fried up some onions as a “gourmet” dog topper. The veggie dog was actually pretty good. Shouldn’t be all that surprising I guess, but I had always had an image of a veggie dog being slimy and gross. Now having finally tried one I would say that meat hot dogs are actually slimier. Veggie dogs forever! Even Dominic liked his dog, although he said it maybe wasn’t quite the same as a regular hot dog. But with one vegan and two vegetarian meals today, maybe he’s being converted slowly?


No comments:

Post a Comment