Sunday, May 15, 2011

May 14th

Today Dom and I were babysitting his niece and nephew and his niece had a lunchtime birthday party to attend in Dunrobin. For those of you who don't know or haven't heard of Dunrobin, it's a veryveryvery tiny town with not much around. After exploring the area, we decided to have our own lunch at the Heart and Soul Cafe (honestly, one of the only places to eat we could find, except for the pizzeria where the birthday party was being held.) It's a very quaint cafe with all home-cooked food and seems to be very popular as there was only one table left when we got in. They recommend reservations on weekends, but I guess we got lucky! Although they had no purely vegan dishes on their menu, after explaining to the waitress that I was vegan, she allowed me to mix and match the side dishes to create my own meal. I was so happy and thankful that she allowed me to do this - not only was she so accomodating, but was actually very interested in my new diet and lifestyle change. We talked about it for a bit before I decided on a whole wheat bagel, grilled tomato, avocado and homefries. It ended up being very yummy - I love the homecooked taste of the meal.And after all the driving around today, Dom and I decided to treat ourselves to scrumpcious oatmeal cookies. I made the oatmeal-walnut-dried plum cookies from the Kind Diet, but left out the plum and added pecans along with the walnuts. They turned out sooooo yummy - we can't stop munching on them! Along with sugar (the recipe calls for maple sugar but it's very expensive and hard to find so we use organic evaporated cane juice) it's also sweetened with pure maple syrup which gives it such a lovely flavour. These are definitely one of my new favourite cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment