Saturday, May 14, 2011

May 13th



More gardening today! Today I prepared my indoor planters and the warm-weather crops for the outdoor garden. I'm very lucky to have a small little vegetable garden in my backyard that I can fill with compact vegetables, herbs and even strawberry plants, but I am doubly and triply lucky that both my grandmother and boyfriend each plant a vegetable garden of their own. This year we delegated our crops depending on the size of the garden patch and we'll share in the bounty: carrots, broccoli, dwarf peas, herbs and lettuces for me; cucumbers, potatoes, and tomatoes at my grandma's; and everything else you could imagine at Dom's including butternut squash, zucchini, yellow and green beans, eggplant, spinach and we're even trying corn for the first time. If you have the oppourtunity to grow something this summer and don't usually, I encourage you to try it. It feels so good and rewarding and it doesn't have to be a big vegetable patch either. A small window container of an easy-to-grow herb like chives or basil is just as rewarding. Although I've only just planted the seeds, I'm so excited to try our veggies!


Continuing with the "gardening=green" theme, I used the leftover pesto from yesterday in a whole wheat pasta for lunch today. No real recipe here, just poured the leftovers over hot cooked pasta. Very easy and scrumpcious. I think it makes a much better meal of convenience than the frozen burrito. Just as soon as all my basil starts growing I'll be able to use it to make fresh pesto anytime and it'll be my new meal of convenience. Grow little veggies, grow!


No comments:

Post a Comment