Wednesday, May 11, 2011

May 10th

When we were in Italy last year, we were introduced to the wonder that is the blood orange. I had heard of them but I’d never actually eaten one. While we were there, Dom would order a cappuccino every morning and since I don’t drink coffee, I started ordering orange juice. The first time it arrived at the table, I was surprised to find that it was a beautiful redish-pinkish colour, freshly squeezed and so sweet. Nothing like the yellowy cartons of OJ I’m used to here. So this morning Dom made me his ode to Italian breakfasts…freshly squeezed blood orange juice.


Dom’s Freshly Squeezed Blood Orange Juice:
8 blood oranges



And that’s it! I guess you could use a juicer to make it, but really, where’s the fun in that? He did everything by hand, the juicing, the straining, and it was wonderful! So naturally sweet that you don’t need to add sugar and it’s so healthy that it feels like a punch to the immune system! We even kept the pulp to use later in a smoothie. Try it with blood oranges or regular oranges or grapefruits or a mixture of any citrus fruits. Your immune system will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment