Monday, May 30, 2011

May 25th

I’ve found that vegan food can be found at almost every restaurant we’ve visited this month. Even if they’re not whole meals, with just a little creativity and some persuasion, a vegan meal can be had! Usually restaurant sides are vegan, including dishes like mashed/boiled/fried/roasted potatoes (without butter and sour cream), steamed vegetables and some appetizers like vegetable spring rolls or salsa. But eye-rolling (out of annoyance) or questioning (out of interest) from wait staff while piecing together my own dinner has not deterred me from going out. Tonight I met up with some girlfriends after work and we decided to go to Ahora, a Mexican restaurant in the market. I was lucky tonight and didn’t have to put together my own plate by ordering sides – there was a “Vegan Burrito” right on the menu! How helpful, when vegan is right there in the name. Black beans, lettuce, onions…all sorts of stuff crammed in the tortilla. I rounded that out with a nice big salad and some guacamole and corn chips. The guacamole was good – I love making my own, but this one was pretty yummy and the salad was great too, but actually I didn’t enjoy the burrito as much as I thought I would. So maybe I should have pieced together my dinner, with guac and salsa and more salad? Oh well, I’ll know for next time. The girls loved their burritos though, so don’t let my review keep you away. The atmosphere is fun, and if you can get a booth under the window it’s even better. You order and pay at the counter and they bring your food out to you, so it’s super fast – perfect when you’re veryvery hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment