Saturday, May 14, 2011

May 12th

I love gardening. Flower gardening, vegetable gardening, indoor gardening, garden-viewing...I just find it so rewarding. One of the most beautiful gardens I've seen is the Butchart Gardens in Victoria. It's so beautiful and inspiring and we had such an amazing time strolling through the grounds and on the many paths, surrounded by beautiful green growth. We went in the spring although I'd love to visit in every season to see all the seasonal plants. Having spent most of the day outside in my own garden (a little less fantastic than Butchart), preparing the earth for spring planting and weeding the flower garden, I felt like I needed to eat something green. Literally green, not eco-conscious green, although thanks to the lack of livestock it is that too! I ended up making a quick pesto spread for a sandwich, and threw on anything green-coloured we had in the fridge.



Quick Pesto Spread:


approximately 30 basil leaves


1 tbsp toasted pine nuts


1 tbsp olive oil


juice of 1/2 lemon


1-2 garlic cloves


1/2 tbsp tahini (for the spread-like consistency)


coarse sea salt


Add ingredients to food processor and whiz until it reaches a consistency you like. Taste and add anything that might be missing.


I used half this pesto as a spread on my baguette sandwiches, and topped it with cucumber slices, avocado and sprouts. Try whatever combination you like!


Melly's Green Sandwiches:


4 Slices whole grain bread


Pesto spread


12 Cucumber slices


1/2 an avocado, sliced


Sprouts (broccoli or alfalfa)

No comments:

Post a Comment