Sunday, May 15, 2011

May 15th

So it's been a full 2 weeks of vegan deliciousness and I thought I should let you know about some of the changes with me:

1. First off, I've had really bad asthma for awhile now and I had read that not eating dairy could help ease asthma symptoms, so I had actually stopped eating dairy about 2 months before I started this journey. I've found that although I still have occasional asthma attacks, they're nowhere near as bad as they used to be and I can mostly breathe through them before using my inhaler. I've read lots of people's stories who say that it gets better with time and I'm really hoping to make more improvements on the breathing front. Fingers crossed!

2. This may sound gross, but I'm not as phelgmy as before. I used to wake up and cough and spit for about an hour, but I don't do that anymore. Even my grandma noticed this in the mornings when I go visit her. I wake up with clear passages! Along the same lines, I rarely have to blow my nose anymore, when it used to be an hourly occurance due to blocked nasal passages.

3. I usually suffer from severe pollen allergies in the spring and while people around me are suffering, I'm just not. Sure, I sneeze occasionally and my eyes get itchy but nothing like I used to experience. This may not be entirely caused by my new diet, but a lot of newly vegan people notice a decrease in their allergies.

4. I digest better. Very important.

5. When I feel full after overeating at a restaurant or family dinner for example, I still feel super full but not heavy. This may sound strange but I don't know how else to describe it... it's just a lightness.

6. I've always been plagued with bad skin; I had afwul blackheads on my nose and now they've disappeared! No matter how well I washed and moisturized my skin before, they never went away and now, even though I haven't been taking the best care of my skin in the last few weeks, those pesky blackheads are just gone. I'm very excited about this.

For people suffering from asthma or allergies or even bad skin, maybe a vegan diet is worth a try? I love finding natural remedies to any type of illness and this makes me very happy. I much prefer just plain eating to relying on medication. Hopefully I'll kick the inhaler soon!


As for today's food, I'm very excited to say that for breakfast today I tried tempeh for the first time. I had never heard about tempeh until I started researching the vegan diet, but my understanding is that it is fermented soybeans. It may sound a little gross, but was actually super yummy. Dom loved it too and has claimed the leftovers for himself. We tried the smoky maple bacon flavoured one, and the marinade actually had very healthy ingredients. It was a great alternative to bacon and I'll definitely be buying this again. I'm also very excited that this morning was the first morning that I felt I needed to eat greens. I've read that vegans should eat greens every day, but preferably with every meal and today was the first day that I opened the fridge at breakfast and the kale was the most attractive food in it. Yum. Finished it off with cinnamon oatmeal and it was really more of a brunch.


Dinner tonight was scrumpcious - we had a stir-fry and it was the bestest stir-fry we've ever eaten! We cleaned out the fridge, made a big pot of rice and added some corn and asparagus. We used a carrot, an onion, a green and red pepper, zucchini, broccoli, garlic, peanuts and sesame seeds along with a splash of hot pepper sesame oil, but you can really use whatever you have on hand or whatever needs to get used up before spoiling.


Dom and Melly's Sizzling Stir-fry:

1/4 large onion cut into big pieces

1 carrot, thinly sliced

1 stalk of broccoli, florets and peeled, chopped stalk separated

1/4 red pepper, thinly sliced

1/4 green pepper, thinly sliced

2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced

1/3 zucchini, sliced

1/4 cup peanuts, chopped

Sesame seeds


Heat a splash of sesame oil in a frying pan. When hot, add the onion and stir fry for about 2 minutes. Add the carrot and broccoli stalks and fry for another 2 minutes. Add the 2 peppers and stir fry for another 2 minutes. Add the broccoli and garlic and a splash of hot pepper sesame oil and fry until everything is just cooked. Add the zucchini and peanuts and seeds and stir everything together. When the zucchini is heated through, turn off the heat. Serve over brown rice. Sprinkle with more nuts or sesame seeds if you like.

If you're looking for a different flavour for your stir-fries, I recommend you use the sesame oil. It smells amazing when it's cooking and I like that you don't need to add any other sugar- or salt-laden flavourings. We made enough for me to bring to lunch tomorrow but it was so good we ended up eating it all. Just looking at the picture again is making me crave more. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment